Moong Dal with Tomatoes and Onion Recipe
since i am an indian cooking teacher, i am always trying to come up with new recipes to teach. all my recipes start with simple everyday ingredients that are easy to procure.
with all the indian markets around los angeles it is always a breeze to put together an indian meal/recipe.
dal is an evryday dish for indians and you cannot have enough variations.
this is my version and a simple one.
fast and easy.
- 1 cup moong dal, rinsed
- 1/4 ts. ground turmeric
- 2 serrano chiles cut in half lengthwise more or less according to taste
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ts. minced ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 ts. kosher salt
- 2 tb. veg. oil
- 1/2 ts brown mustard seeds
- In a medium saucepan, bring the dal, turmeric and water to a boil. C over and cook over low heat for about 20 mintues, till the dal is barely tender.
Stir in the serrano chiles, onion, ginger and garlic, and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and simmer another 5 minutes, or until tomatoes are softened. set aside.
- In a small frying pan combine the oil, brown mustard seeds and the dried red chiles. Cover and cook over low heat until the seeds pop and the chiles turn dark. Stir the spices and oil into the dal and reheat the dal.
serve dal hot with rice or roti
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.