Grilled Monterey Squid Salad Recipe
This salad pairs well with Dogfish Head’s Aprihop India Pale Ale. This rich, mellow beer starts like a traditional IPA, full flavored and with a distinct bitterness that creates a contrast with the taste of the grilled squid. It is then balanced by the sweetness of apricots, which complements the acid in the vinaigrette.
- 8 whole squid, cleaned and the bodies and tentacles separated
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
- 2 cups cooked butter beans
- 1/2 cup sungold tomatoes, or another small tomato, cut in half vertically
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, soaked in ice water for 1 hour (to make onion crispy and remove bitterness), then drained just before using
- Use 8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers and start by inserting the skewer into the squid body lengthwise at the lower end of the squid piercing both walls of the body. Then bring the skewer back up through the body and down again. The motion is like sewing and you should be able to see the skewer twice on one side and once on another. Now place 1 of the tentacles at the end of the skewer. Repeat with the rest of the squid. Brush with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper and reserve for grilling.
- To make the vinaigrette, smash the avocado in a bowl with a fork until chunky and then add the lemon, sherry vinegar, salt and cayenne. Next add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and stir. It should look a little separated and that is fine. Right before you dress the salad, fold in the basil.
- To serve the salad, mix all the remaining ingredients, toss with the vinaigrette and adjust seasoning if necessary. Heat the grill or grill pan until really hot, grill the squid on the hottest part of your grill because it will cook fast, about a minute per side. The squid should have nice grill marks and be opaque when done. Be careful not to overcook because it will become tough. Once done, remove from the skewer and cut the tubes horizontally into 1/4 inch rings. Toss the tentacles and tube rings into the salad and divide among 4 plates and serve.
Copyright © Ame Restaurant 2009
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by