Salmon with Red Curry-Coconut Sauce Recipe
The sauce for this recipe features some classic Thai ingredients, including coconut milk and red curry paste. The cream that rises to the top of chilled coconut milk contains a good amount of oil, so use it to fry the curry paste, releasing its spicy flavors, before adding the rest of the milk and the other sauce ingredients.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Way to grill: Direct high heat (450° to 550°F)
Grilling time: 3 to 6 minutes
Special equipment: 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups chilled coconut milk, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 skinless salmon fillet, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
- Scoop 1/4 cup coconut cream from the top of the chilled coconut milk and transfer it to a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of the curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the remaining 1 cup coconut milk to achieve a smooth consistency, and then slowly incorporate it into the curry paste mixture. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then adjust the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened to a thin sauce consistency, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat.
- Remove any remaining pin bones from the salmon fillet. Cut the fillet into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Thread them onto skewers.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons curry paste with the oil and generously brush the salmon with the mixture. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the skewers over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until you can lift them off the cooking grate with tongs without sticking, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn the skewers and cook them to your desired doneness, 1 to 2 minutes for medium. Reheat the sauce and pool it onto a serving dish or divide evenly among individual plates, top with the salmon, and scatter the scallions over the top. Serve warm.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.
©2008 Weber-Stephen Products Co. Recipe from Weber’s Way to Grill™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.