was part of
Food Fight: Top Chef Challenge
which ended Jun 8, 2009 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp with Salsa Verde Recipe
This dish combines spicy cool salsa verde with a hot grilled shrimp for a refreshing meal that is especially good in spring and summer.
- 24 jumbo fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/5 pounds tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup diced sweet, mild onion
- juice from 2 fresh limes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Reserve 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Combine the remaining lime juice with the chili powder and olive oil. Add a pinch of salt. Add shrimp and mix well to coat in the marinade.
- While the shrimp marinates, cut the tomatillos in half and place them cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil under broiler for about 5 minutes, until the skins turn slightly black. Remove tomatillos from the oven.
- Add broiled tomatillos, 1 tablespoon lime juice, onions, jalapeno, and a pinch of salt to a blender or food processor and process until well mixed but still slightly chunky. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed. Put in the refrigerator to chill slightly.
- Stir shrimp in marinade the make sure they are well-coated. Grill the shrimp in a grill pan or on a gas or charcoal grill until just pink and cooked through.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the salsa verde to the bottom of a shallow serving bowl. Take 4 to 6 of the shrimp and place them tail up in the salsa, with the tails touching so the shrimp stand tail up in the salsa and serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.