was part of
Food Fight: Top Chef Challenge
which ended Jun 8, 2009 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Corn "Risotto" Recipe
This side dish is soulful yet elegant and simple to make. It is a healthier take on creamed corn.
By making a corn stock to bind the corn instead of heavy cream, the dish turns out much healthier & more flavorful while still retaining the richness of creamed corn.
- 8 Ears of Fresh Corn
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Large Sweet Onion - Diced (Vidalia if available)
- Pinch of Saffron
- 1 Vanilla Bean (Split & Scraped)
- Cayenne Pepper (To Taste)
- (Optional) 2 Slices Chopped Bacon (Cooked & Chopped)
- Shuck the corn and remove the kernels from the corn cobs.
- Make the corn stock by taking 2-3 ears worth of corn kernels and pureeing in a blender with just enough water to create a puree. Blend the corn 2 minutes longer than you think is needed. Strain into a sauce pan, add the saffron & vanilla, and cook over medium low heat.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until moderately brown.
- Add the remaining corn kernels and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the corn stock and add to the skillet. Cook for around 3 minutes or until the dish has thickened to your liking. Season to taste, top with bacon if using & serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.