Sweet and Spicy Sticky Chicken Recipe
An amazing combination of sweet and spicy in the typical Asian style from my recent cookbook- Simple Real Food.
It is a great crowd pleaser developed for one of my Asian cooking classes.
- 2/3 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup for the salad
- 2 Tb. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tb. minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 8 chicken thighs without the bone
- 2 large carrots, peeled, julienne
- 1/2 daikon radish, peeled, julienne
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- cilantro sprigs, garnish
- Combine the 2/3 cup of sugar, lime, soy, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken skin side down. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes until the skin is golden turn and saute another 4 minutes. Remove to a plate and pour off the fat from the pan. Add the sauce to the pan and return the chicken. Cook over medium low heat covered until cooked through about 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine the carrots and daikon in a large bowl and add the vinegar, salt and 1/4 cup of sugar. Toss well and chill while the chicken is finishing.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and reduce the sauce over high heat until thickened. Pour the sauce over the chicken and surround with the salad. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.