Broccoli Cheddar Strata with Pancetta Recipe
We recently attended “Frittatas, Stratas and More” at Williams-Sonoma and had strata for the first time I can recall. Their recipe for Strata with Asparagus, Sausage and Fontina was really good, but I wanted to try my own version at home—and didn’t need to serve 12 people (16 eggs, 6 cups of milk, 4 cups of cheese)! So I pared down their recipe and used different meats and vegetables to make it my own. Just baked it first thing this morning and we each had two portions. What a tasty way to start the day! I prepped this yesterday morning and left it in the fridge to bake today.
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk (I used 1% Simply Smart)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar + additional cheese to sprinkle on top (I used Cabot's Seriously Sharp)
- 2 teaspoons Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning
- 6 slices ciabatta, cubed
- 1 small bunch of broccoli (maybe a quarter pound or so), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quarter-pound pancetta, sliced thin and cut into strips
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 oz. white mushrooms (about 6 mushrooms)
- Beat eggs and milk in a large bowl.
- Add shredded cheese and Sunny Paris.
- Stir ciabatta cubes into egg mixture.
- Steam broccoli for approximately 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Sautée pancetta in small amount of olive oil. Add shallots and continue to sautée until they are somewhat golden.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes till mushrooms are no longer white.
- Stir pancetta/shallot/mushroom mixture into egg/bread mixture, then add broccoli.
- Pour ingredients into a buttered 9" square baking dish. Sprinkle top of strata with additional shredded cheddar (I used less than 1/4 cup)—just a touch!
- Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 50 minutes or till top is lightly golden and eggs are set.
- Let stand 10 minutes prior to serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.