Bacon, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese Grilled Pizza
Take pizza to the next level by swapping a slathering of pesto for the traditional tomato sauce and topping it with smoky bacon, sweet asparagus, and soft goat cheese, then grilling it up till it’s charred and crisp.
Game plan: The asparagus can be blanched and the bacon cooked and crumbled up to a day in advance. Keep them covered in separate containers in the refrigerator until ready to use.
What to buy: While homemade tastes best, a lot of the components for this pizza can be bought at the store. Premade pizza dough and pesto sauce are easy to find in many supermarkets.
This recipe was featured as part of our Dude Food for Dad’s Day menu.
- 8 ounces asparagus, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick coins
- 14 ounces Basic Grilled Pizza Dough
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup Basic Basil Pesto
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated on the smallest holes of a box grater (about 3/4 ounce)
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1Heat half of a gas or charcoal grill to high (about 400°F) and the other half to low (about 300°F). Fill a large saucepan with heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Strain and rinse with cold water, drain well, and set aside.
- 2Divide dough in 1/2 and roll into 2 rounds about 1/4 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. Brush the top of 1 round with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 3Lay dough oiled side down on the hotter half of the grill and brush the top with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill dough without moving until grill marks form on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- 4Flip dough with a spatula or tongs to the cooler half of the grill, spread with 1/2 of the pesto, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan, 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the reserved asparagus, and 1/2 of the goat cheese. Cover and grill, rotating if necessary to avoid any hot spots, until dough is lightly charred and cheese is melted, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Transfer pizza to a cutting board, sprinkle 1 tablespoon more of the Parmesan over top, slice, and serve. Repeat with second round of dough and remaining toppings.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved