Basic Pizza Sauce Recipe
A good pizza doesn’t need fancy ingredients so long as the sauce is full of flavor. Our thick sauce has straightforward tomato flavor and is a snap to prepare.
Game plan: This sauce can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juices
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, stir to incorporate, and cook until raw flavor is gone, about 4 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and oregano and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before using to top pizza.