Basic Basil Pesto Recipe
Pesto has as many uses as it does variations. This basic basil version can brighten up any number of things, from grilled corn to scrambled eggs, or use it as a pizza sauce, like on our asparagus and goat cheese grilled pizza.
Game plan: The pesto can be made up to 3 days in advance. To store, place it in a container and press plastic wrap on top of the pesto so that it’s touching the surface. Cover with a lid or another piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Or freeze up to 1 month.
Watch the CHOW Test Kitchen’s Amy Wisniewski make this easy basil pesto in an episode of our Easiest Way video series.
- 4 cups tightly packed basil leaves (about 8 ounces of whole basil bunches)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup good-quality olive oil