This hearty and healthy bean dip is a Chowhound favorite and guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The recipe only makes 5-6 servings, so if you’re feeding a crowd, you might want to double or triple it. (You should probably do that anyway – the leftovers are very versatile!)
1) To heighten the smokiness, use fresh whole cumin seeds, and toast them before grinding (that tip is compliments of fellow CHer Miss Needle). 2) Err on the side of caution with the chipotles, as they can be very spicy. Start with one – you can always add more if you like it hotter.
- With chips or crudites for dipping
- As a vegetarian wrap or sandwich spread
- Layered onto nachos
- As a baked potato topping
- 1In a food processor, combine all ingredients except salt & pepper, and process until smooth. Taste for seasoning, add salt & pepper to taste, and if you prefer a thinner dip, continue processing, adding water 1 Tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- 2Transfer to a container, and if time allows, refrigerate overnight to let the flavors develop.
- 3Garnish with 2 Tbsp. of chopped cilantro if desired, before serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.