The marriage of crusty bread and chocolate was consummated many years ago in Europe, but this tricked-out sandwich goes a step further. We took the best of a pain au chocolat and a churro, tossed it on the grill, and cut it into thin slices—the perfect accompaniment for your next sundae.
- 1Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium (about 350°F) or a grill pan over medium-low heat.
- 2Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- 3Place chocolate inside bread, close, and evenly spread butter on the outside.
- 4Grill 5 minutes, pressing frequently with a metal spatula, until grill marks have formed on the bottom and the crust is browned. Flip and sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar on the grilled side. Grill the other side until browned and crusty, about 5 to 8 minutes more.
- 5Remove from heat and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on top. Cut into 1-inch pieces and serve with your favorite ice cream.