My recipe is reversed engineered from the many Salvadoran curtidos I’ve tasted around the Los Angeles area. Most internet recipes don’t allow enough pickling time. Do NOT use a regular yellow onion – it is too stinky! Cole slaw mix can be substituted for the cabbage and carrot.
- 1 medium head red or green cabbage, THINLY SLICED
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 small red or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c. apple cider or pineapple vinegar
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Chile flakes or sliced pickled jalapeno chile (optional)
- In a large pot, cover the cabbage with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for only one or two minutes. Remove from the heat and strain out the cooking water.
- Combine blanched cabbage with the remaining ingredients in a glass container, adding enough water to barely cover the vegetables.
- Refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.