Exotic Spice Cookies Recipe
Unique but addictive cookies. The version here is the latest, and so far, most definitive one I have made, but requires another somewhat hard-to-find ingredient, mesquite flour.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorn, finely ground
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp mesquite flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flours, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine sugars, butter and egg. Beat for 2 minutes on high speed. Then add the vanilla.
- Stir in flour and spice mixture until combined.
- Make cookies using 2 Tbsp of batter for each, spreading 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.