New Castle PA Chili for Hot dogs Recipe
This is a recipe for Hot dog chili that we from New Castle grew up with. I tried it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how close this was to the original. For those of you that live very far away, it’s worth making this.
- one pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper (I used black pepper)
- 1 large onion chopped very fine.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal (to be added 15 minutes before chili is done)
- Cook beef and drain off the fat real good. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with water completely and simmer 2 1/2 – 3 hours. Keep adding water to keep it from drying out. Then add 4 tablespoons corn meal with water to it slowly. Cook some more for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be sure it doesn’t dry out. Cook on low heat.
You can alter the recipe to taste at your liking
- You have to watch this like a hawk. I will try a slow cooker next time.
- Anyhow, we’ll never be able to duplicate the old P.O. lunch chili, but this isn’t bad! By the time you get the onions, mustard and ketchup on the dog….you still have that same sensation as New Castle Chili……….it will bring back memories.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.