This is an “old-school-to-the-new-school remix” riff on an old favorite from the local paper. The original recipe called for 2 packages of frozen spinach and a can of cream of mushroom soup. I used two bags of fresh baby spinach, found a substitution online for cream of mushroom, jazzed it up ever so slightly with a fresh shallot and some madeira, and voila…a lovely, fresh, new dish!
- 1Cook egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- 2Steam spinach for approximately 1 minute just to wilt. Squeeze to remove excess moisture. Combine with cooked egg noodles.
- 3In a large pot (one you would use to make spaghetti sauce), sautee shallots and mushrooms in butter.
- 4Add flour, then milk and broth. Stir till creamy.
- 5Add sour cream, shredded cheese, pecorino and madeira. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Add spinach and noodles. Stir to combine.
- 7Coat a 13×9″ pan with butter. Pour mixture into pan, top with a sprinkle of paprika and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.