Bison Burger with Mushrooms and Spring Onions Recipe
The ultimate forager’s meal, this burger is loaded with ingredients from the wild. With earthy mushrooms, sweet onions, and a kick from the horseradish, it’s full of flavor and filling enough to count as two meals.
This recipe was featured as part of our Most Delicious Sandwiches photo gallery.
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium spring onions, dark green ends trimmed off, white and pale green portions sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms, trimmed and quartered if large
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground bison meat
- 3 kaiser rolls, cut in half horizontally and toasted
- Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle. Place a wire rack inside a baking sheet and set aside. Mix together the mayonnaise and horseradish in a small bowl until evenly combined; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When shimmering, add onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook until soft and browned, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Return the pan to heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and heat over high until smoking. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring rarely, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix together egg, Worcestershire, garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until egg is broken up. Add bison meat and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Shape meat mixture into 3 patties (4 inches wide, about 1/2 cup each) and place on the rack inside the baking sheet. Broil until browned and springy to the touch, about 10 minutes for medium.
- To serve, divide horseradish mayonnaise between bottom bun halves and spread evenly. Top with burgers, divide onions and mushrooms evenly between burgers, and close with top bun halves.