Inspired by leftover corned beef from St. Patrick’s Day and the mention of reuben soup on Chowhound, my mom and I modified a recipe from allrecipes.com to come up with the following treat. It’s like an Irish riff on beer cheese soup. It’s so delicious, it’s hard to stop eating it once you start. See if you agree!
- 1In a large saucepan or pot, cook onion and celery in butter till tender.
- 2Stir in flour to form a roux.
- 3Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in corned beef, milk, evaporated milk and cream along with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- 5Continue to cook and stir on low (do not simmer!) until slightly thickened.
- 6Add Guinness, sauerkraut, mustard and Cholula.
- 7Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toasted rye; sprinkle additional shredded Swiss on top. Broil until cheese melts.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.