Basic Risotto Recipe
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the broth to a simmer. Reduce the heat to very low and keep the broth hot.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir until the kernels are well covered with the butter and are opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle in about 1/2 cup of the hot broth, adjust the heat so the liquid bubbles gently, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding the hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and allowing it to be fully absorbed before adding more, until the rice is creamy and the kernels are just tender but still slightly firm at the center, 18–20 minutes total. If you have used all of the broth before the rice is ready, use hot water. If using for Cheese-Stuffed Risotto Cakes, let cool completely before chilling.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.