Forget subjecting yourself to frozen pot pies with soggy crusts and watery vegetables. With a simple Creamed Chicken filling topped with a flaky puff pastry crust, pot pie can be the casserole of your dreams.
What to buy: We used Dufour puff pastry with excellent results, but if you prefer a denser crust, try topping your pot pie with frozen store-bought flaky pie dough.
- 1Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- 2Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a large frying pan until foaming. Add onions and sage and cook until sage aroma is released, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add potato, celery, and carrots and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until carrots and onions are just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes.
- 4Remove mixture from heat, stir in peas, parsley, and creamed chicken, and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Turn filling into the prepared baking dish. Whisk egg together with 1 tablespoon water and a pinch of salt until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- 6With kitchen shears, cut dough to fit over the baking dish. Place dough over filling and tuck into the edges of the dish.
- 7Brush dough with reserved egg wash and cut 10 evenly distributed slits in the top to vent. Cook until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.