Salade Niçoise Sandwich Recipe
The classic flavors of a salade niçoise were made to go on top of a slice of bread. Between bites of seared tuna and briny caper mayonnaise you’ll be wondering why you never thought of this before.
This recipe was featured as part of our Most Delicious Sandwiches photo gallery.
For the mayonnaise:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cornichons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped brined capers
For the sandwich:
- 1 (6-ounce) ahi tuna fillet
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup mixed greens, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons pitted, finely chopped kalamata olives
- 1 thin slice red onion
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (1-inch-thick) slices sweet batard, toasted
- 1 hard-boiled egg cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until fully incorporated; set aside.
For the sandwich:
- Season the tuna generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over high heat until smoking. Add the tuna and sear until lightly browned on one side, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side, about 1 minute more for rare. Remove to a cutting board and let rest while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Placee the greens, olives, onion, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, and vinegar in a medium, nonreactive bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Slice the cooked tuna on the bias into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- Divide the mayonnaise between the slices of bread and spread evenly. Top one slice of toast with half of the salad mixture, then half of the sliced tuna, then half of the egg slices. Repeat with the second piece of toast and serve open-faced.