haven’t had Nutella since I was a student traveling in Europe decades ago with a EuroRail pass, sleeping in youth hostels. Back then we used to eat the chocolate stuff for breakfast. These days, I find the real thing a little too sweet for my taste. So I was happy to see Amy’s Scattergood’s Homemade Nutella recipe in the Los Angeles Times –what a great idea! And the perfect starting point for a version of my own.
- 1Roast the hazelnuts at 350° for 8-10 minutes until they darken a bit and smell fragrant
- 2Transfer the hazelnuts to a towel and rub off the skins if you can (I didn’t have a lot of luck with this)
- 3In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, about 5 minutes, scraping the sides as needed
- 4Add the cocoa, agave, vanilla, oil and salt and process until well blended, about a minute
- 5Store in a glass mason jar in the refrigerator
- 6Bring to room temperature prior to serving
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.