Homemade Nutella (Gluten Free and Dairy Free) Recipe
haven’t had Nutella since I was a student traveling in Europe decades ago with a EuroRail pass, sleeping in youth hostels. Back then we used to eat the chocolate stuff for breakfast. These days, I find the real thing a little too sweet for my taste. So I was happy to see Amy’s Scattergood’s Homemade Nutella recipe in the Los Angeles Times –what a great idea! And the perfect starting point for a version of my own.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- pinch celtic sea salt
- Roast the hazelnuts at 350° for 8-10 minutes until they darken a bit and smell fragrant
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a towel and rub off the skins if you can (I didn’t have a lot of luck with this)
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, about 5 minutes, scraping the sides as needed
- Add the cocoa, agave, vanilla, oil and salt and process until well blended, about a minute
- Store in a glass mason jar in the refrigerator
- Bring to room temperature prior to serving
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.