Quick & Easy No-Bake Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Easy enough for a beginner and fast enough for a weeknight dinner, these stuffed mushrooms offer a full mushroom flavour with a hint of garlic. Instead of a slow oven baked, and possibly dry appetizer, these filled caps require only a sauté pan and a microwave steamer tray.
- one 8 oz tray large button mushrooms, or 16 large button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbs butter or margarine
- 2 loosely packed cups potato chips-- preferably a cheese & onion flavour
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 tsp sea salt~or to taste
- 1/4 tps freshly ground pepper~ or to taste
- If desired, wash and rinse mushrooms.
- Remove stems from all mushrooms. Gently turn and twist a stem to remove. Sort by size and add the smallest caps to the stems if using a tray.
- Place stems and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Whiz until most pieces are finely copped. Pieces do not need to be extremely small.
or chop all pieces fine
- To a sauté pan, add mushroom mixture and butter. Heat on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. [do not rinse out bowl of food processor]
- While mushrooms are reducing, place caps in the top of a microwave steamer tray. Place tray over a plate and microwave at 80% power for 5 minutes. Let stand in the microwave. Do not drain the water out of the individual caps.
- While butter and mushroom mixture is heating, place chips into the bowl of a food processor [reuse mushroom bowl] and whiz until chips are almost powder.
or crush chips in a tea towel until very fine
- Stir in chip powder to the mushrooms mixture in the sauté pan.
- When mushroom mixture is heated through, remove from heat and stir in cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to the filling. Adjust to taste. Mixture should have a full mushroom flavour with a hint of garlic.
- With a small spoon or clean hands, press enough filling into each mushroom cap to both fill the cap and mound up to about 1/2"[1.25 cm] above the cap. There will probably be leftover filling.
- Microwave filled mushrooms for 1 minute on High.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 2 days in a sealed container. Reheat at High for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.