Kashmiri Greens Recipe
- 4 pounds braising greens
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (a spice often sold as a yellowish-powder; adds an onion-like flavor)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup julienne strips peeled ginger
- 1 small dried red chile, broken in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Discard the tough stems from the greens. Chop the tender stems and set aside, then roughly chop the leaves.
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot over moderately high heat until it shimmers and add the asafetida and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add the shallots, ginger and chile and cook, stirring, until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the stems of the greens and salt to taste, then cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the greens and cook, tossing occasionally with tongs, until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the chile and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you want a spicier dish, break the chile into smaller pieces.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by