Eggplant and Goat Cheese Sandwiches Recipe
This is a great side dish which I love to make. It is easy quick and healthy. Eggplant some good cheese and pan sauteed. What could be better.
Having a garden up north in MI, we had tons of vegetables. It was endless to find ways to make something new. My mom and I both loved fried or sauteed eggplant. This is one my mom used to make this but not with goat cheese Just a herbed cheese, well she used pimento (popular back then, in the day), I like roasted red peppers and I love the tang of goat cheese so it got changed over the years. This is the final product.
It’s a great side dish, I hope you enjoy!
- 1 eggplant peeled and cut in planks about 1/2" thick
- 1/4 cup red roasted red pepper (pimento is also a good substitute if you don't have roasted red peppers)
- 6 oz of goat cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives chopped
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 egg
- Olive oil to fry the eggplant
- Peel and slice the eggplant in planks. I cut each plank in half in order to put them together to make a sandwich.
- Make the filling … mix the goat cheese, roasted red peppers (or pimentos), chives, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Make two pans for the breading station. I with the egg lightly beaten and the other with the bread crumbs. Dried not fresh work better for this.
- Now add a big teaspoon of the cheese mix in the center of the eggplant, top with the second and lightly push the two halves together. Now tip in the egg and then the bread crumbs. And saute in a large non stick (I prefer non stick for this, but a grill pan is fine) and saute the eggplant on each side until slightly brown and the cheese begins to melt.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.