A traditional way to break the Ramadan fast. A delicious, filling and wholesome meal of a soup that tastes even better the next day.
- 1Heat the butter and oil in a large stockpot set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they soften, stirring occasionally – about 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. (Stick blender worked well.)
- 3Add the remaining spices (ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and cumin) to the onions and cook for one minute. Add the tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and 8 cups of water or watered down chicken broth. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the lentils are tender – about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 4Add the chickpeas and raise the heat bringing down the heat to a low boil. If serving the next day, refrigerate here. Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead at this stage.
- 5Add the pasta and cook until tender – 6 to 8 minutes. Serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.