was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Here’s what can happen in the kitchen when you have time on your hands. In February 2009, Soop started a cool thread, “Shall we make a recipe?” which started off nicely enough as a collaborative cookie-making effort, then sadly, kinda lost steam:
I actually think there were additional posts removed because, at one point, we had discussed adding bacon to the cookie. HillJ got me thinking about bar cookies and sweetened condensed milk and lynnlato was on board with the bacon idea, so I got inspired and ran with it. If you’re a sweet-n-salty lover, these are not as outrageous as you might think upon first reading about them. In any case, I had fun with this experiment, inspired by CH, and hope I won’t be the only one enjoying these bars. I think for conversational value alone, they’d be lots of fun to bring to a party. They’re sweet, salty, yummy and piggy all rolled into one! Try ’em and see what you think.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Toast nuts in oven.
- 3Cook bacon; pat bacon dry and set aside.
- 4Combine cornbread cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press into bottom of 13×9-inch pan with a fork. Layer evenly with nuts, cherries, bacon then chocolate chunks. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon and ancho chili powder over the top.
- 5Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a small bowl; drizzle evenly over the pan.
- 6Bake 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool for one hour; cut into bars.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.