Herbed Pea Sprout, Fennel, and Mushroom Salad Recipe
Pea sprouts, with their delicate, sweet flavor, are the epitome of spring. Toss them with mushrooms, fennel, and herbs for a simple, elegant salad that’s perfect on its own or served with scallops in vodka sauce.
What to buy: Pea sprouts can be found at gourmet grocery stores and farmers’ markets. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find them year-round, but they peak in the springtime.
This recipe was featured as part of our menu celebrating 100 days of the Obama White House.
- 1 small fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and sliced crosswise paper thin
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced paper thin
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces pea sprouts
- Combine all ingredients except pea sprouts in a large, nonreactive bowl and toss together. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator until the mushrooms are slightly softened and have soaked up some of the vinaigrette, about 10 minutes.
- Add pea sprouts, toss thoroughly to coat, and serve immediately.