Kim's Favorite Roasted Creamed Corn Recipe
I love corn but creamed corn was not a favorite… unless done just right. I still would like to figure out the secrete to a creamed corn I had once at a picnic. I never asked for the recipe and have never been able to duplicate it. However, this inspired me to come up with my own version. Roast the corn for some extra flavor.
I like to serve this with my Romaine Salad with Black Beans and a Lime Vinaigrette and my Spicy Chicken with a Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce (linked below)
- 8 ears of corn, I prefer yellow for this not white
- 2 large shallots diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Pull the husks back and remove all the silk. Pull the husks back up and soak the ears in water for about 30 minutes. (I do mine right in the sink–much easier). Then grill the corn. If you don’t have a grill Roast them in the oven at 425, it will work fine. Once the corn is lightly grilled, remove and let cool. Slice all the kernels off.
- In a large skillet add the butter and melt on medium high, then add the shallots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the roasted corn and mix well. Add the flour and mix until completely coated. Now add the broth until it makes a nice sauce.
- Add the cream, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook until the corn get creamy. Should take around 10 minutes. If necessary you can add more chicken stock or cream. Taste for seasoning.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.