Crawfish Ettoufee' Recipe
Being born and raised in Nawlins I’ve tried so many versions of Ettoufee’. Its’ like Gumbo in the fact that just about every restaurant and family has a different recipe for it.
This recipe is my favorite, given to me by my mother. It is very easy to prepare and it multiplies perfectly for large crowds, just double, triple, quadruple….
- 1 stick butter
- 1 lb peeled & cleaned crawfish tail meat (Louisiana frozen is best. but the Chinese product will work if that is all that is available. They just have a wierd texture.)
- One orange bell pepper. chopped
- One medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbls. parsley minced
- 1 lg. Bay leaf
- Creole seasoning (to taste)
- 1 small can Cambell's Golden cream of mushroom soup & 1 can of water
- Melt the butter in a 4 qt. pot over med. heat. Add the crawfish tails and saute’ 3 to 5 min. just to render crawfish fat into the butter. While the crawfish are simmering season them with the creole seasoning. Remove crawfish from pot using a slotted spoon. Reserve crawfish in a bowl to cool.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and parsley to the pot and simmer till tender.
- Add the soup, water and bay leaf and cook over med. low for 20 to 30 min. Return crawfish to pot and return to simmer just till crawfish are hot. Do not over cook crawfish. Serve over rice.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.