Lamb-Noodles Romanoff Recipe
This is my re-recreation of a dish I once sampled as part of a tasting panel. It is a hearty entree that is simple to prepare on a weeknight.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large onions, sliced medium thin
- 1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 pound egg noodles or short pasta shapes, cooked, drained according to label
- Salt, pepper to taste, plus 1-2 Tbsp sugar if you prefer sweeter tomato sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp black truffle oil (optional)
- Preheat a 4 qt Dutch oven or chef’s pan on medium high.
- Add lamb, breaking up thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle with garlic powder. When bottom is well-browned, stir to brown other side and keep stirring until meat is evenly brown.
- Add onion and mix. Lower heat to medium-low, cook 5 minutes until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, tomato paste, tomato soup, and ketchup, stirring to blend well. Cook 5 minutes.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and stir into lamb mixture until thoroughly melted and blended. Taste for seasoning, adding as necessary, including optional vinegar and oil.
- Stir the cooked noodles into the mixture to coat evenly and thoroughly. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes to meld flavors.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.