Blueberry Vareniki or Blueberry Dumplings, Madd Russian Recipe
Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a electric mixer with the dough hook in place. Mix for 1 minute at low speed, then raise the speed to moderate and beat for 2 minutes; the dough should be well blended, smooth, and elastic.
However you knead the dough, form it into 2 balls, dust lightly with all-purpose flour, completely cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rest for 30 minutes or more in a refrigerator. (Over night is best)
- Dough 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Dough 1 teaspoon salt
- Dough 3 egg yolks, save the whites
- Dough 1/2 cup cold water
- Filling 3-3 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh
- Filling 1/2 cup sugar
- Filling 1/2-1 teaspoons cinnamon
- Filling 3/4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Filling 1-2 egg whites, lightly beaten (for sealing the vareniki)
- 2 cups sour cream for dipping
- Roll out dough about 1/8 inch thick and cut into 3-inch circles with a glass or a cookie cutter.
- Just before filling the rounds, lightly toss the blueberries with the sugar and cinnamon. Spread on a plate and dust with the flour.
- Fill each round with a scant tablespoon of blueberries. Fold, seal ( put egg whites lightly beaten on the inside edge to help seal the vareniki )( I also fork the edge myself)
- Prepare the pan of boiling water for cooking the Varenikis.
and cook in pot of salted boiling water as soon as you can (they are done when they float) gently remove from pot with a slotted spoon.. Cook in as needed.
Serve HOT with sour cream for dipping.
- Best if one cooks and the others eat. My record in one sitting is 27 (:-)>)
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.