Mulled Hard Pear Cider Recipe
Think cider, and surely visions of apples dance through your head. But here hard pear cider steps in for the apple cider and gets spiced, sweetened, and boozed up—making for the perfect antidote to a blustery winter day.
Game plan: The cider will keep for up to 4 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. Prepare it through step 1, and when ready to serve, reheat the cider and proceed with step 2.
- 4 (22-ounce) bottles hard pear cider
- Zest of 1 medium orange, removed in large strips
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped (optional)
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup honey
- Combine cider, orange zest, ginger, and vanilla bean and seeds (if using) in a large pot, stir well, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in brandy and honey, pour into heatproof mugs, and serve.