I think it was about 4 years ago my friend bought several butternut squash at a farmers market. Her husband asked her to get 10 zuchinnis for a dish, instead she got butternut. You can see that she didn’t do the cooking. She just saw squash and that is what she got. Well, she ate one … hated it so, guess who got the rest … me.
Well I made soup, pasta sauce, roasted and risotto; and then ran out of ideas. My friend wanted Mexican so I tried to come up with something. Black bean quesadillas are a favorite of mine so this was the end result.
This is a great appetizer or I enjoy it as a main course.
You can add diced cooked chicken to this which I do quite often, and even use different cheeses if you want. I have also added olives and even fresh avacado slices which was very good. However this is my favorite and quick and easy recipe.
NOTE: Butternut squash can be cooked many ways.
You can roast the squash cut up with olive oil, salt and pepper, or …
You can saute in a pan with a little water or broth until soft, or …
You can even microwave in a bowl with just a tablespoon or two of water covered with
saran wrap if you are in a hurry.
I prefer roasting mine first but not too brown and then mash them. Either methods works.
- 1Peel, dice and cook your squash which ever method you like the best. Add to a large bowl and mash.
- 2Now in a small saute pan with a little olive oil add the onion, garlic and chipoltes. Cook just a few minutes until slightly soft. Add the black beans, cumin, salt, pepper and cilantro and stir until well mixed and heated.
- 3Add the bean mixture to the squash and mix well.
- 4Now take a flour tortilla and put some of the mixture on one half of the tortilla and top with the cheese. Fold over brush each side with olive oil and cook on a grill pan if possible … or and outside grill, or even just a saute pan. If you want, bake at 425 as well. To me, the grill pan works best.
- 5Serve, let set just a minute till the cheese slightly sets up and then cut into wedges. Top with sour cream and chopped scallions. Guacamole or salsa would also be a nice addition. ENJOY!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.