Warm Chicken Caesar with Cavatappi and Arugula Recipe
This was a cold salad in a cookbook that I sold, so my apologies for not remembering the original recipe. I think the dressing is the only part I kept so this is my version which my family loves. I added some Calamata olives and I like to serve mine warm rather than a cold salad and a nice crunchy topping.
- 8 oz of chicken breaded, pan fried, and cut in cubes
- 1 bunch or bag of Arugula (I a bag at the grocery store) or a bunch at the farmers market
- 6 ounces or of cavatappi or penne or your favorite pasta. Your choice. I have used both. I usually add my leftovers in the pantry.
- 2 cups of crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup calamata olives halved
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 eggs whisked
- Salt and pepper
- Olive to pan sear the chicken
- 1 cup garlic cheese croutons crunched up
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of fresh anchovies chopped very fine and mashed
- 4 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 oz of grated parm
- 3 tablespoons of rough chopped basil
- 5 tablespoons of mayo (not low fat)
- Salt and pepper
- First time to make the chicken. I like to either buy thinner cut breasts or flatten mine by pounding them out a bit. Not flat, just even so they cook quicker. Then I one pan whisk your egg. In another pan your bread crumbs with a little salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the egg then bread crumbs and pan saute until lightly brown on each side. Remove and drain. Set aside and cover.
- Now prepare the vegetables, Add the arugula to a large bowl which is your serving bowl. Add the sliced mushrooms, olives and scallions. In a small bowl mix the mayo, parsley, 1/2 the cheese, anchovies, salt and pepper, lemon, broth, and garlic. Mix well and set to the side.
- Cook the pasta according to directions and drain. Chop the semi cooled chicken and toss with the pasta and then add to the salad mixture.
- Top with additional parmesan and crunched up garlic cheese croutons. It makes a nice simple topping. ENJOY!!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.