Tangy Asian Couscous Salad with Shrimp, Scallops and grilled Avacado and Mango Recipe
I’m not sure if this is Asian, Caribbean or California cuisine. It is a bit of it all. It is a spicy Asian citrus dressing with fresh grilled shrimp, scallops, avacados and mango with fresh scallions and red peppers, jicama and fresh baby arugula. It is a great combination of warm and cold. This can be served warm, room temperature or even chilled. Personally I enjoy it warm but it is strictly up to you.
Sometimes a nice hearty salad is good, but also healthy. This is also great served with some homemade soup and a a nice bread.
- 10 large scallops cut in half
- 16 large shrimp
- (Marinade: 1 tablespoons of lime 1/8 cup olive oil, salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 2 cups Arugula chopped
- 1 box of plain couscous cooked according to directions (I use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water to cook the couscous)
- 2 mangos cut in large pieces skin removed
- 2 small avacados cut in half and removed from the skin
- 4 scallions diced fine
- 1/2 of a red pepper thin sliced
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup of jicama cut in thin strips
- 1 cup seedless cucumber cut in half moons and thin sliced
- Olive oil to grill the avacados and mangos
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few steps but well worth this. I make the dressing first and set aside. I mix the oil, mustard, honey, cilantro, salt and pepper, soy, lime juice and red pepper flakes. Mix well and store chilled until ready to use.
- Then marinade the shrimp and scallops, At least 1 hour … no more than 3. Just mix the lime, olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. Mix in a large baggie, add the shrimp and scallops and keep in the refrigerator to marinade.
- Now prepare the veggies. In a small bowl, thin slice your red pepper, jicama, scallions, onion, arugula, and cucumber. Now make the couscous and cover and set to the side. I like to make it a large bowl. Just add the boiling broth or water to the bowl cover with a lid or saran wrap until ready to use. 5 minutes later the couscous is done. Right before mixing with your seafood and vegetables, Mix with a fork to “fluff.” Also … remove the dressing to let come to room temperature.
- Also prepare the fruit, just skin removed from the mango and avacado, and cut in large pieces for the mango and in half for the avacado. Drizzle with olive oil, s/p and place on an inside or outside grill pan. Also put the scallops and shrimp on as well. They only takes minutes. Don’t over cook the seafood.
- Now … lightly chop the warm grilled fruit. Just rough chopped. Add the seafood to the couscous with all the vegetables and dressing and toss well. Last minute add the grilled fruit.
- Serve and ENJOY!!!!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.