Mini Chili Appetizer Bowls Recipe
This is more of a technique rather than a recipe in a sense. You can make this with any of your favorite chili recipes … beef, white bean turkey or black bean. What is important is that it is a thick chili. I included one of my recipes below that I like for this. I like to make a “chili bar” small bar with my mini bowls, chili, and toppings so people can help them selves. Sour cream, avacado and cheese. It is a lot of fun and easy. I make the chili the day before and buy the rolls right from the grocery store.
Great for Super Bowl or any party. I’m listing the ingredients for a large pot of chili … remember this will serve more than the bowls will hold. So expect leftovers. Lets say 30 bowls or 30 small rolls.
- 30 Rolls; I use small round dinner rolls right from the grocery store in the bakery section
- Pam spray
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced fine
- 1 stalk celery diced fine
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 cans kidney beans or you can add chili beans (please add your favorite)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Hot sauce to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fine diced poblano pepper
- Olive oil to saute vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- The chili is easy … Make the a day or so ahead so all you have to do is re heat. Saute the garlic onion, celery and pepper in some olive oil. Add the beef and cook until beef is browned and vegetables are soft. Ann all other ingredients and stir till combined and cook on medium low until warm.
- Ok for the bowls and setting up your chili bar. I cut off the tops of the rolls and then scoop out some of the bread with my fingers or a fork. I spray with pam (this helps to brown and crust up the roll. Spray some on the inside too and bake at 400 for 5-10 minutes, just until they get lightly crustry. No too dark. These are your bread bowls.
NOTE: not too much out of the bottom.
- My chili bar has a few diced onions chopped fine, guacamole, sour cream and cheese. This way people can make their own mini bowls. Add your favorites. They are fun, easy and the bowls are edible …
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.