Hootsla (Egg Bread)
This Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast dish is a bit quirky, really filling, and super simple. Top it with a drizzle of maple syrup or some cinnamon sugar.
This recipe was featured as part of our Cold-Weather Comfort Food Menu.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1 day-old sweet baguette, sliced into 1-inch cubes (about 8 to 9 cups)
- Cinnamon Sugar or maple syrup, for serving
- 1Whisk eggs, milk, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth; set aside.
- 2Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When butter foams, add bread and fry, stirring frequently, until golden brown and toasted on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3Remove the pan from heat and pour egg mixture over bread. Stir until bread is coated, then return the pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until egg is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately with cinnamon sugar or maple syrup.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved