Molasses Whipped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
This creamy sweet potato mash was served at the Obama inaugural luncheon.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes while still hot. By hand or mixer, smash potatoes until all large chunks are gone. Combine the potatoes, butter, salt, orange juice, brown sugar, ground cumin, molasses and maple syrup in a large bowl. Continue to mix all together until all lumps are gone. Adjust any of the seasonings to your specific tastes. Can be made the day before.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.