This beautiful roasted bird was served at the Obama inaugural luncheon.
Game plan: Pheasant can be substituted with chicken.
- 1Boil the rice with the chicken stock, cook until soft and most of the liquid is gone.
- 2Add the onion, carrot, garlic and apricot. Cook until the vegetables are soft and all liquid has been absorbed. Refrigerate rice mixture until cold.
- 3In a food processor, puree pheasant tenders to a paste consistency to use as a binder for rice mix.
- 4When rice is cool, add the pheasant puree to the rice until well mixed. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and return to refrigerator until ready to stuff.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 6Make 10 small football shaped patties of the rice mix, stuff inside the pheasant, being careful not to overstuff the pheasant. Rub herb/oil mixture on top and bottom of the pheasant, season with salt and pepper. Place the pheasant on a heavy gauge roasting pan and then in a preheated oven for approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with lid or foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve over sauté of spinach.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.