Coconut Farro Porridge with Mango Recipe
If you’re an oatmeal person when it comes to breakfast, try this farro porridge for a more exotic start to your day. The addition of coconut and mango makes for a flavorful breakfast that’s hearty enough to keep you going all day.
What to buy: Farro is a whole-grain relative of wheat with a nutty flavor. When cooked, each grain retains a firm, chewy texture. You can find it in the bulk section of many well-stocked grocery stores and in most Italian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, spelt makes a decent substitute.
Game plan: We made this recipe with both pearled and unpearled farro, and each works well. The pearled farro takes less time and is creamier but lacks that distinctive chewiness that is characteristic of unpearled farro.
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans regular or light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 medium mangoes, small dice
- Combine the coconut milk, farro, water, brown sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir occasionally until simmering, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the farro is cooked through and creamy and most of the coconut milk has been absorbed, about 1 hour. Stir in the coconut extract and mango and serve.