The Academy Sparkler Recipe
Toast all the Oscar winners with this simple, sophisticated cocktail made from spiced orange syrup and a bit of bubbly.
What to buy: Pernod is a bright yellow anise-flavored liqueur that adds a distinct licorice note to this drink. It can be found in most liquor stores or online.
Game plan: The orange syrup can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in a covered container.
This recipe was featured as part of our Academy Awards Cocktail Party menu.
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 1/2 cup Pernod
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 medium oranges, removed in large strips
- 2 medium dried bay leaves
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 1 bottle brut sparkling wine, chilled
- Combine all ingredients except sparkling wine in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool to room temperature, and strain.
- Add 3/4 ounce of the orange syrup to the bottom of a champagne glass and top with 5 ounces of the sparkling wine; repeat to make 8 drinks.