Mexican Meatloaf Rings Recipe
This is a fun way to make small individual meatloafs in less time but with a twist. I love meatloaf but am always looking for a new way to make it. This combines traditional meatloaf with a mexican flavor and is cooked in individual red, green, orange or yellow pepper rings, and topped with salsa and some pepper jack cheese. Served with a simple side of mexican mashed potatoes and a great salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette.
It may sound like a lot of ingredients but it is well worth it believe me! When I was growing up we had a garden and this is how the idea started. I was making stuffed peppers and a couple of my peppers were too small and had bad spots. So … I ended up cutting them in large rings and still was able to make my stuffed peppers and actually like them better. Well as years went on I always made my stuffed peppers that way and then I started making meatloaf the same way to save cooking time. Now I love trying to try new combinations and ideas and this is one of my favorites.
- 1 - 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 4 peppers: 1 yellow pepper, 1 red, 1 orange and 1 green, cut each pepper into 3 2" rings, approx. Use whatever color pepper you like best. You want approximately 8-9 rings.
- 2 pieces of bread soaked in milk, squeezed and broken up
- 1 medium onion diced (use pre-diced from the store if you are pressed for time)
- 2 celery stalks diced (use pre-diced from the store if you are pressed for time)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 extra large or 2 small eggs
- 1 chipolte diced 2 if you are daring
- 1/2 cup salsa for the topping I use mild
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese or slices of peppe rjack either or. Please use which ever you like best. I have used both and like both. Different flavors. I would probably use the pepperjack but equally good.
- Serve with my sauted black beans and romaine hearts with avacado and cilantro lime dressing
- First lets prepare the peppers. Cut the top and bottom of of each pepper and then cut the pepper into 3 rings, depending on the size. You want the rings to be about 2" thick.
NOTE: Try to pick out large nice round peppers this makes for a great ring to stuff your meatloaf mixture in. You can use red, yellow, orange or green whatever you like best.
- Now, the meatloaf. Add all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350. While the oven preheats … place the pepper rings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and stuff with the meatloaf mixture into each pepper ring. Mound up slightly.
- Top the meatloaf with salsa and then bake for 30-45 minutes. The last 5 minutes top with cheese and continue to cook until melted. Remove and let set just a minute or two before serving.
- I love to serve this my Mexican mashed potatoes and a salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette. Both I have posted as well.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.