I make tons of stuffed breads … I will try to post all my favorites. This is one of them. Rather than just a good loaf of Italian bread with butter and garlic this makes for a hearty simple bread that goes great with any main course. Try this next time you have a BBQ, you will be surprised how good it is and how much your guests love it. I always make a whole loaf and cut it into 8-10 slices. It is gooey and great flavor. This can be made in the oven or on the grill.
- 1First step is to prepare the bread. Cut in half lengthwise and then hollow out both the top and bottom a bit to make room for the filling. (Keep the bread you remove, it makes a great stuffing for chicken, pork or even a thickening mixture for soups and stews)
- 2Lightly toast the bread either on a grill or under the broiler. Just a minute or two to lightly toast the inside of the loaf. This prevents the bread from becoming soft or “soggy.”
- 3Make the filling. Saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the butter until soft. Add the seasoning, salt and pepper and fresh herbs and toss.
- 4Now lets stuff the bread. On the bottom piece put 1/2 the cheese, then the mushroom onion mixture, then top with cheese and the top piece of bread.
- 5Wrap the loaf in foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes turning once or twice in the oven to make sure it heats on both sides or grill. If you grill you may need to turn it more often. It will be gooey and have a great flavor. Slice in 8-10 slices and enjoy with a great steak, pork tenderloin or even just a great salad.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.