Quick and Easy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Everyone loves mashed potatoes. But no offense Rachel Ray … I really do love your show and have learned alot, but sometimes I don’t even have 30 minutes. When it is a last minute change of plans and no time to do anything, I rely on these potatoes to go with a store bought roasted chicken or even some BBQ Ribs. I would rather make them from scratch, but sometimes that just doesn’t happen. These are so quick and so good, I even use these on regular nights rather than boiling them.
Honestly they are so versatile. This is the base recipe. However, I have added sour cream, bacon, ham, different cheeses, onions, scallions, herbs, butter, cream and just milk. Feel free to add whatever you enjoy in your potatoes.
- 10-12 small red potatoes cut in quarters, skins on
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter (if you want low fat ... omit the butter)
- 1/3 cup milk, cream, chicken broth, sour cream or any combination as I mentioned above. Combinations are endless.
- Salt, pepper and seasoning to taste
- In a microwavable bowl at the cut potatoes, 2 tablespoons water and cover with saran wrap. Cook on high for 5 minutes, sir and test for doneness, Cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water, add the butter and mash slightly with a fork. Add the cream, milk, sour, cream or even just chicken broth and come to the right consistency, then add any additional seasoning you may want.
- Make sure to try any combination. Bacon, cheddar, gruyere, ham, onion, scallions, sour cream, a multitude of herb combinations, peppers, mushrooms, sausage, anything goes.
- NOTE: If you add any other raw vegetables such as peppers, mushrooms, sausage, etc. you would want those pre cooked. It is a great way to use up leftovers.
After adding your additional ingredients, cook another minute to heat and serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.