I love tiramisu and have always loved visiting Italy.
This is an alternative recipe and has always been my favourite, it has evolved from the many times we have served it, in fact my wife has got it down to a fine art.
- 4 (Size 3) egg yolks.
- 150g/5oz caster sugar
- 1 x 250g/9oz tub Mascapone cheese
- 250ml/8fl oz double cream
- 150ml/ ¼ pint strong black coffee, cooled
- 4tbsp Kirsch or Cherry Brandy
- 1 small Madera cake
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 25g/1oz semi sweet plain chocolate
- Place the eggs in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, add the sugar and Kirsch and stir over the heat for about 10mins until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and continue to stir until cool.
- Beat the cheese & cream together until thick and then fold in the cold egg mixture.
- Arrange slices of Madera cake in the bottom of a shallow serving dish and drizzle with some of the cold black coffee. Dredge the cake layer with cocoa powder and cover with a layer of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat the layers finishing with the cheese mixture.
- Tap the dish lightly then coat with a layer of cocoa and grated chocolate.
- Chill for 2-3 hours.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.