Cheesy Artichoke Dip Recipe
With Parmesan and Swiss cheese and loads of artichoke, this easy and classic dip is big enough to feed a crowd at your next big game day party.
What to buy: Be sure to use good-quality cheese for this recipe. Avoid buying the pre-grated kind; it won’t offer much flavor. If you don’t like Gruyère, an aged cheddar is a good substitute.
Panko is coarse Japanese-style breadcrumbs, available in many grocery stores.
Game plan: There are versions of this dip that don’t require the flour, but they start to separate as they get cold. This dip holds together long after it cools down, making it ideal for a party setting.
The dip can be made through step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Cool it to room temperature, cover, and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to finish the dip, let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before baking.
This recipe was featured as part of our Super Bowl Party Playbook.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it foams, add onion and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until onion and garlic are beginning to turn brown in color, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook stirring constantly until no longer raw tasting, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in 3/4 cup of the Parmesan, pour in cream, and stir to incorporate. Add artichoke hearts, sour cream, and 1/2 cup of the Gruyère and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Transfer dip to an 8-by-8-inch baking dish and top with remaining Parmesan and Gruyère and the panko. Bake until heated through, bubbling on the edges, and the cheese is melted, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve with crackers or pita chips.