Latkes (Potato Pancakes) Recipe
This is the recipe adapted by Leslie Jonath for her You’re Doing It All Wrong: Latke video.
- 1 vitamin C tablet
- 2 1/2 pounds peeled Russet potatoes
- 1 peeled onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons matzoh meal
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Applesauce and/or sour cream for serving (optional)
- Dissolve vitamin C tablet in 2 tablespoons hot water in a small bowl.
- Shred the potatoes using first the shredding blade and then the metal blade of the processor (or use a hand shredder). Place in bowl with vitamin C.
- Shred the onion in the food processor just as you shred the potato; add to potatoes. Stir in the eggs, salt, baking powder, and matzah meal until incorporated.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/2 inch oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is to temperature (you can check by sticking a wooden utensil into the oil and seeing if bubbles form), spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture into hot oil. Do not crowd. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Fry pancakes until golden on both sides, turning once. When you reach the end of the batter, pat the mixture with a paper towel to remove excess liquid.
- After frying, remove the pancakes to paper towels to drain. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream, if desired.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.