This tart is as chic as it is simple. The filling requires no baking, so after a few hours in the refrigerator, just slice and serve. While you wait, make the cherry-vodka sauce; its sweet cherry flavor is a perfect complement to the tart’s bittersweet, trufflelike interior.
Game plan: The tart can be made up to 2 days ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator.
The cherry-vodka sauce can be made up to 4 days ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chocolate Desserts photo gallery.
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Combine butter, sugar, vanilla seeds, and salt in a large bowl and stir until evenly incorporated. Add flour and stir until just combined and a soft dough forms.
- 3Sprinkle dough over the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan (flour the cup occasionally to prevent sticking).
- 4Cover the tart shell with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once chilled, prick it all over with a fork and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
For the filling:
- 1Place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 2Combine cream, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is just at a simmer, about 4 minutes.
- 3Pour cream mixture over chocolate and butter and let sit until melted, about 4 minutes. Gently stir until smooth.
- 4Pour ganache into the cooled tart shell and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until set, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
For the cherry-vodka sauce:
- 1Place cherries, vodka, sugar, and reserved vanilla bean from the crust in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cherries start to break down and syrup has thickened, about 50 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Serve with slices of tart.